Former two-division UFC champion Conor McGregor was interviewed and released in Corsica earlier this week following allegations of “attempted sexual assault and sexual exhibition.”
Local authorities released a statement to AFP news in France after an initial report stated McGregor had been detained on indecent exposure allegations.
“Following a complaint filed on September 10 denouncing acts that could be described as attempted sexual assault and sexual exhibition, Mr. Conor Anthony Mac Gregor was the subject of a hearing by the police,” the prosecutor’s office wrote in the statement.
AFP later reported that McGregor’s attorney Emmanuelle Ramon called the allegations “abusive” and his client was released with no charges filed against him.
McGregor has recently been touring around the Mediterranean on his yacht along with his fiancée, Dee Devlin, and their two children. Corsica is an island off the coasts of France and Italy.
A separate report from TMZ stated that the alleged incident took place in a bar in Corsica. McGregor’s representatives then released a statement where he denied allegations made against him.
“Conor McGregor vigorously denies any accusations of misconduct,” McGregor’s representatives said in a statement first sent to TMZ and later confirmed to MMA Fighting. “He has been interviewed and released.”
McGregor’s manager Audie Attar then issued a separate statement to MMA Fighting after the reports first surfaced on Saturday.
“I am irate and putting out a warning loud and clear: Conor McGregor is not and will not be a target for those seeking to score a headline or a payday,” Attar said.
It was just a day ago that McGregor put a message out on Twitter saying that United States Anti-Doping Agency officials had arrived to administer a drug test as part of the UFC’s anti-doping program. McGregor claimed he was retired earlier this year but the USADA continues to test athletes until they actually notify the UFC that they no longer intend to fight.
McGregor last fought in the UFC in January when he knocked out Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone in his first fight back in the promotion in over a year. In June, McGregor then announced he was retiring from mixed martial arts due to frustrations over a lack of worthy opponents to earn his attention for another fight.
This is not the first time McGregor has run up against legal issues in recent years.
The Irish superstar was arrested on several occasions while working or training in the United States. He was famously detained after assaulting a bus filled with fighters ahead of UFC 223 in Brooklyn in April 2018.
McGregor was arrested again in March 2019 and originally charged with strong-armed robbery and criminal mischief after he grabbed a phone away from a person taking photos or video of him leaving a hotel in Miami. The charges were later dropped as part of an agreement McGregor made in restitution with the victim.
Later that same year, McGregor faced charges in his native Ireland after he was caught on camera punching a bar patron in Dublin. He was eventually charged with assault and the 32-year-old fighter later plead guilty and paid a fine.